As interviewed by The Texas Standard, the national daily news show of Texas (Ransomware Attack Leads to Breach Affecting 700 Students in 39 Texas School Districts).
Ransomware Attack Leads to Student Data Breach in Texas Districts
- The Complicated Story of a Student Hacker — The complicated case of 'Finn,' a student who hacked his school's server, website, and social media [...]
- Schools Prove Soft Targets for Hackers — Like big businesses, schools gather a lot of data. Unlike big businesses, they don't have many IT and security resources to protect that information. Schools collect names and birth dates, social security numbers, discipline records and health records. With this data, thieves can create fake online identities, or sell the students' information and [...]
- FBI, ED: “Cyber Criminal Group Threatens Schools and Students” — The FBI (Cyber Division) and the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General issued a warning about cyber-extortion schemes focused on public [...]
- Criminals Make Schools’ Data a Target — These are new threats facing schools. They are harming individuals. They are disrupting school schedules - and class time - and they are costing schools and taxpayers a lot of money. We need an effective and comprehensive [...]
- Schools Struggle to Keep Pace With Hackings, Other Cyber Threats — To better understand the cybersecurity challenges facing schools, Education Week talked with school leaders in Arizona, Connecticut, Montana, and Texas about the cybersecurity incidents they faced, and how they responded. They found that the country's K-12 information-technology leaders are likely underestimating the dangers they face and that many are failing to take even basic steps to secure their networks and [...]